Nov 2, 2009

Landscaping Small Spaces, Part 4

As much as I love the possibilities afforded by designing larger estate landscapes (as in, trees! I actually get to spec trees!), small gardens hold a special place in my heart as well. Here's the fourth of five bite-size tips to make the most of bite-size spaces:

Get wet. A modest fountain can create a big impact in a small space, especially with interesting lighting. Vertical columns of basalt rock can be drilled to create a naturalistic water feature, or employ a classic or modern container for a more elegant effect. A product such as the Aqua Box makes installation easier than ever. One or more translucent plastic tubes can be installed on end to create subtle waterfall effects, and metal salvage yards can also be a source of interesting fountain elements, from corrugated metal to stainless steel troughs that can spill into a basin below grade.

Next, I'll write about my fifth and final tip for landscaping small spaces: Dry out.

4 comments:

KatePresents said...

John,

I didn't know about Aqua Box (I'd been using Fountains Unique for a similar product). Thanks for the tip!

Cheers,
Kate
www.sageoutdoordesigns.com

Laura Livengood said...

Hehehe, I recognize that garden! It's looking good! Miss you, bet you're a bizzy boy...catch you around! llsxo

John said...

Kate, thanks for opening my eyes to Fountains Unique! They seem to have a great selection… I'll give them a try next time.

Laura, I should say publicly that I owe both [a] the creation of this fountain and [b] my awareness of Black Hole Surplus entirely to you!

It's so nice to be connected to people who are connected...

Chookie said...

Another great reminder! I am looking forward to putting some moving water in the next garden...